Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Beautiful Club For Life!


I call my girls The Beautiful Club. Yours may be called The YaYa’s or simply the Girls. The BC started the year before my junior year of high school when basically I made a pact to myself that I would be best friends with the same group of girls forever! In any case they are the trusted women who show up when life stinks and celebrate when it doesn’t. They are strong, loyal friends who think I am beautiful in sweats but fully appreciate a sassy outfit or new bling necklace. While a couple from the original group have come and gone, there are 6 of us that still remain best friends today! Two of these girls go farther back with me and will be standing beside me on my wedding day at my Maids of Honor. I met Bailey in kindergarten and Monet in 6th grade.
The Beautiful Club knows both the tenderness and selfishness of my heart and love me anyways. They aren’t afraid to tell me I need a haircut, nor would I be offended. They have earned that right. We have been friends for over 10 years. Longevity doesn’t necessarily elicit a deeper friendship but it sure keeps you from having to explain yourself. They know my stories…my failures…my hiccups. They remember…and graciously forget. They remind me of my strengths and never withhold a compliment.
 
Life’s too short not to celebrate one other.
We laugh hard and cry easily, often at the same time. We help each other embrace our imperfections as young women, daughters and friends.
 
My hope is that someday, my own daughter too will find these special relationships, ones that don’t judge but can ask the hard questions. Friendships where competition and insecurity are replaced by encouragement and trust. I desire for my daughter to truly know how to celebrate other women because once that is mastered, a new beautiful club will be made.

Things I want my future daughter to know about Girlfriends:

(a collection from a few of my trusted gals)
  1. True girlfriends are those who will tell you the good and the bad. And find a way to make you feel OK about both.
  2. Your best friends may have other friends too. That’s ok.
  3. A girlfriend understands that we all want to feel celebrated on our birthdays.
  4. Girlfriends come in all colors, shapes, and energy levels. Don’t have a type. You will miss out.
  5. We are all imperfect people. Your friends will disappoint you. Forgive them even before they ask.
  6. Your girlfriends are who get to pick to be your family because God knew your mother could not handle you as sisters.
  7. True girlfriends are those who meet you in the middle, and sit with you if the moment calls for sitting, and walk with you when you can move forward again.
  8. Be brave enough to be real. Your Authentic self is enough.
  9. You know she’s a true girlfriend when you don’t clean up before she comes over… you’re comfortable allowing her to see YOU, mess and all.
  10. A lack of phone contact should not breed insecurity, just an excitement for when you finally do connect. Pick up where you left off, no guilt or hesitation. Life is hard and we all know it.
  11. Life gets busy though. Be intentional.
  12. Love them well. That will look different for each friend.
  13. Truly good friends are your best cheerleaders– they make you feel like everything you want is possible.
  14. If you find a friend that can make you laugh so hard you pee….don’t let her go.
  15. Always reach out to the new girl in school or life. Always.
  16. A phone date together with a glass of wine can be as fulfilling as a dinner out.
  17. True girlfriends are those who take and give in equal measure – but always remember to measure over the length of a yard and not over the length of an inch.
  18. It is a blessing to have an intimate few but always have room at your table.
  19. Don’t be a high maintenance friend, life’s hard enough. Just love well and often.
  20. Laugh and cry together, often at the same time.
  21. Don’t flirt with her boyfriend, spouse or love interest.
  22. Remember your life and family are not supposed to look like hers. You were created differently. Don’t compare.
  23. Friends should never feel like an obligation.
  24. Girlfriends know when to simply say “you will get through this, I promise.”
  25. When you know you are crazy, your girlfriend can assure you, you are normal, even though you are crazy.
  26. A girlfriend is like a good bra. Hard to find, but stay close to your heart and are a great support system.
  27. Be Trustworthy ”A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.”
  28. True girlfriends always know how to point out the best in each other.
  29. Apologize when you screw up, because you will.
  30. Don’t just say you’re going to pray for her, actually pray, even when she doesn’t ask.
  31. Know the purity of her heart. It’ll make it easier to give her the benefit of doubt.
  32. Give of yourself expecting nothing in return. A true friend will reciprocate when she is able.
  33. You have been placed in each others lives with great purpose. Cherish each other

And of course I had to post some old pictures of us all!!!
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment